Winter Fat Tire Biking in Bend
Fat tire biking started in the 1980s when some mountain biking fanatics in Alaska wanted to extend their mountain biking season over snow. Using oversized tires with rowdy tread, they accomplished just that. Now, nearly 45 years later, fat tire biking, especially in the winter, has become a popular, and nearly mainstream activity here in Bend. Bend offers winter biking guests a wide variety of fat tire bike trails, bike rentals, and even tours & events focused solely on fat tire biking. There even is a saying going around now that can't be more true - "When the skiing is crappy, the fat biking is awesome," so when you have had enough skiing or maybe you just really want to get out and try fat biking for yourself Bend, Oregon is the place to start.
Fat Tire Bike Trails
Bend has evolved into a popular fat tire biking destination, complete with a number of well maintained winter fat tire bike trails & parks. Some quick tips to remember before heading out on the trails:
1. Dress for the weather. It can get cold, and storms can move into the area quickly, so stay informed and dress appropriately.
2. It's best to have a minimum tire width of 3.5 inches.
3. If you are leaving a rut more than 1" deep, then its recommended you don't ride.
4. Decrease your tire pressure to 5psi or 4psi as less pressure will give you better traction and leave a shallower rut.
5. Most importantly, remember to have a great and fun time exploring miles of outdoor trails around Central Oregon.
Find Vacation Rentals Close to Fat Tire Bike Trails
More Fantastic Bend Oregon Winter Activities
Vacation Rentals Perfect for Fat Tire Biking
Our vacation rentals in Bend offer easy access and lots of space for guests that want to experience fat tire biking in the winter. Whether you fat tire bike or have other winter adventures planned, let Alpenglow Vacation Rentals host your stay. Check out our Local Area Guide for great recommendations on restaurants and services, or read through our Winter in Bend Oregon info for even more winter activities available to schedule on your trip. Need help with info about fat tire bike rentals, or trail planning? Contact Us we can help with great local information.